STEWART MARCOS COOKE, ESQ. has served as lead trial counsel in numerous general, family and complex civil ligation matters. Admitted to practice in 1994, Mr. Cooke practiced at large law firms and served as in-house counsel for a publicly-traded Brazilian company before establishing a solo practice in Miami, Florida.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Lead Trial Counsel in multi-million dollar complex construction litigation representing owner and developer of $250 million dollar commercial building in breach of construction and architect contracts, first party insurance claims, bad faith claims, tort claims and third party actions, in a jury trial action in one of the inaugural cases sent to the Complex Business Litigation Division of Miami-Dade County.
- Outside litigation counsel to companies involved in complex litigation involving international asset protection trusts, foreign trust law, annuities, oil and gas royalties, and U.S. tax issues in the United States federal and state courts and British West Indies.
- Dissolution Actions: Trial counsel in numerous dissolution and post-dissolution actions, including modification of parental responsibility, time-sharing, alimony, and child support.
- Dependency Matters: Appointed to Dependency Wheel for dependency matters, including termination of parental rights cases.
- Domestic Violence: Tried over fifty (50) domestic violence actions on behalf petitioners seeking to obtain civil injunctions
- Guardian Ad Litem: Appointed by Circuit and County courts as guardian ad litem in dissolution, dependency and domestic violence matters.
Real Estate Litigation and Transactions
- Lead counsel on multiple mortgage foreclosures on million plus dollar mortgages; drafted complaints and other key pleadings, handled discovery, and negotiated settlements.
- Counsel for real estate brokerage; drafted various breach of contract actions for brokerage commissions; prepared for discovery and negotiated settlements.
- Counsel to owner of mixed use, Class “A” landmark building on condominium association matters.
Information Technology Law
- Counsel to software integration company on breach of contract claim and successfully negotiated settlement with Fortune 500 company.
- Counsel for airplane parts manufacturer; drafted software licensing agreements, including “shrinkwrap” licensing agreements for proprietary software.
- Counsel for various companies in banking and manufacturing; drafted agreements for commercial websites, as well as document retention policies and electronic data management.
- Counsel for various companies, including the official airline of Portugal in breach of contract actions in Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County and Hillsborough County.
- Counsel for various companies in manufacturing; drafted contracts for numerous commercial transactions, including sales and distribution agreements for commercial airline parts; distribution agreements for international candy manufacturer; sales and distribution agreements for Brazilian conglomerate for plastic housewares and yarn; and drafted employee manuals for banking institutions and manufacturing firms.
- Counsel for the largest exporter of confections from Argentina and Brazil; handled employee termination disputes and drafted employee severance documents in compliance with federal and state law.